[openstack-dev] [ptg] Simplification in OpenStack

Boris Pavlovic boris at pavlovic.me
Thu Sep 14 00:56:30 UTC 2017

Jay,

All that you say exactly explains the reason why more and more companies
are leaving OpenStack.

Companies and actually end users care only about their things and how can
they get their job done. They want thing that they can run and support
easily and that resolves their problems.

They initially think that it's a good idea to take a OpenStack as a
Framework and build sort of product on top of it because it's so open and
large and everybody uses...

Soon they understand that OpenStack has very complicated operations because
it's not designed to be a product but rather framework and that the
complexity of running OpenStack is similar to development in house solution
and as time is spend they have only few options: move to public cloud or
some other private cloud solution...

We as a community can continue saying that the current OpenStack approach
is the best and keep loosing customers/users/community, or change something
drastically, like bring technical leadership to OpenStack Foundation that
is going to act like benevolent dictator that  focuses OpenStack effort on
shrinking uses cases, redesigning architecture and moving to the right
direction...

I know this all sounds like a big change, but let's be honest current
situation doesn't look healthy...
By the way, almost all successful projects in open source have benevolent
dictator and everybody is OK with that's how things works...

Awesome news. I will keep this in mind when users (like GoDaddy) ask Nova
> to never break anything ever and keep behaviour like scheduler retries that
> represent giant technical debt.

I am writing here on my behalf (using my personal email, if you haven't
seen), are we actually Open Source? or Enterprise Source?

More over I don't think that what you say is going to be an issue for
GoDaddy, at least soon, because we still can't upgrade, because it's NP
complete problem (even if you run just core projects), which is what my
email was about, and I saw the same stories in bunch of other companies.....

Yes, let's definitely go the opposite direction of microservices and
> loosely coupled domains which is the best practices of software development
> over the last two decades. While we're at it, let's rewrite OpenStack
> projects in COBOL.

I really don't want to answer on this provocation, because it shifts the
focus from major topic. But I really can't stop myself ;)

- There is no sliver bullet in programming. For example, would Git or Linux
be better if it was written using microservices approach?
- Mircroservices are obsolete you should use new hype thing called FaaS (I
am just curios when these FaaS fellow are going to implement modules for
FaaS and when they are going to understand that they will need actually
everything development in programming languages (OOP, AOP, DI, ...) to glue
these things;) )
- I was talking about architectural changes, not a programming language, so
it's sort of big type mismatch and logically wrong. However, what's wrong
with Cobol? If you use right architecture and right algorithms it will
definitely work better than implementation of program in any other language
with wrong architecture and bad algorithms... so not sure that I understand
this point/joke...

Best regards,
Boris Pavlovic