[openstack-dev] Should we be using subprocess32?

Joshua Harlow harlowja at fastmail.com
Tue Sep 12 18:33:24 UTC 2017

Hi folks,

I know there is a bunch of usage of subprocess in openstack and
especially since there is heavy usage of python 2.7 it made me wonder if
we should try to move to subprocess32 to avoid some of the bugs that
seem to exist (maybe distributors backported them?):

For example a major one (seems to be):

- https://github.com/google/python-subprocess32/commit/6ef1fea55

"""Popen.wait() is now thread safe so that multiple

threads may be calling wait() or poll() on a Popen instance at the same time
without losing the Popen.returncode value.
"""

That one concerns me slightly, because I know that certain openstack
projects do use threads (and not eventlet monkey-patched green-thread
hybrids).

TLDR; should we (could we?) switch?

-Josh