[openstack-dev] removing screen from devstack - RSN

John Griffith john.griffith8 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 17:29:22 UTC 2017

Please don't, some of us have no issues with screen and use it extensively
for debugging.  Unless there's a viable option using systemd I fail to
understand why this is such a big deal.  I've been using devstack in screen
for a long time without issue, and I still use rejoin that supposedly
didn't work (without issue).

I completely get the "run like customers" but in theory I'm not sure how
screen makes it much different than what customers do, it's executing the
same binary at the end of the day.  I'd also ask then is devstack no longer
"dev" stack, but now a preferred method of install for running production
clouds?  Anyway, I'd just ask to leave it as an option, unless there's
equivalent options for things like using pdb etc.  It's annoying enough
that we lost that capability for the API services, is there a possibility
we can reconsider not allowing this an option?

Thanks,
John