[openstack-dev] [nova] [placement] Modeling SR-IOV with nested resource providers

Ed Leafe ed at leafe.com
Wed Sep 6 20:17:27 UTC 2017

On Sep 5, 2017, at 10:02 AM, Andrey Volkov <avolkov at mirantis.com> wrote:

> For example, I have SR-IOV PF with four ports (P_i), two of them are
> connected to one switch (SW_1) and other two to another (SW_2). I
> would like to get VFs from distinct ports connected to distinct
> switches (more details can be found in spec [1]), how it can be
> modeled with nested resource providers?

You should make it as complicated as it needs to be, but no more. The first model nests one deep, while the second goes two levels deep, yet they both provide the same granularity for accessing the VFs, so I would go for the first. And I’m not sure that we will be able to get the “inherited” traits used in the second model implemented any time soon.

-- Ed Leafe