[openstack-dev] [tripleo] Pike final release - blockers & priorities

Paul Belanger pabelanger at redhat.com
Mon Sep 4 14:44:13 UTC 2017

On Sun, Sep 03, 2017 at 10:23:15PM -0700, Emilien Macchi wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 3, 2017 at 7:40 PM, Emilien Macchi <emilien at redhat.com> wrote:
> > Here are the priorities and blockers so we can release final Pike.
> > If you have any question, or think I missed something, or have any
> > comment, please reply to this thread.
> > Also, your help is critical for TripleO team to release the final
> > version of Pike.
> > I would like to set a target on Friday 8th (before the PTG) but the
> > hard limit is actually in ~10 days, so we will see how it goes by
> > Thursday 7th and take the decision there.
> >
> > ## Upgrades from Ocata to Pike
> >
> > I'm using this patch to test upgrades: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/461000/
> > At the time I'm writing this,
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/tripleo/+bug/1714412 is still open and
> > remains the major blocker for upgrades.
> > Folks familiar with upgrades process should help Mathieu Bultel to
> > finish the upgrade documentation as soon as possible:
> > https://review.openstack.org/#/c/496223/
>
> A last update before I'm afk:
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/493391/ merged and
> gate-tripleo-ci-centos-7-containers-multinode-upgrades-nv passed.
> Which means we have the upgrade workflow in place again.
>
> Martin, I've been tested https://review.openstack.org/#/c/500364/ with
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/461000/ and it fails on all scenarios
> because it tries to deploy containers when deploying Ocata.
> See http://logs.openstack.org/00/461000/54/check/gate-tripleo-ci-centos-7-scenario002-multinode-oooq-container-upgrades-nv/f3a1eac/logs/undercloud/home/jenkins/overcloud_deploy.log.txt.gz#_2017-09-04_02_46_41
>
> I'm going a recheck on https://review.openstack.org/#/c/500145 to see
> how things are on stable/pike.
>
> So this is where we are:
>
> - containers-multinode-upgrades-nv pass with pingtest but timeouts
> very often (the job is very long indeed)
> - I'm trying to enable tempest on this job, just to see how it works:
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/500440/
> - container scenarios upgrade failed with
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/461000/ but not sure without
> - not sure about how it works on stable/pike
>
> Note: oice upgrade job pass on stable/pike, we'll want to make them
> voting like we did for Ocata.
>
> I'll let Steve Baker post an update after our chat on IRC today.
>
> > ## Last standing blueprint:
> > https://blueprints.launchpad.net/tripleo/+spec/websocket-logging
> > https://review.openstack.org/#/c/469608/ is the last patch but right
> > now has negative review and doesn't pass CI.
> > Hopefully we can make some progress this week.
> >

> > We'll probably have more backports to do after final pike, but that's
> > fine, please use launchpad bugs when you do backports though.
> > We're almost there! Thanks all for the help,
> > --
> > Emilien Macchi

Something to keep in mind too, we are 5 days out before we start testing zuulv3
in production[1]. So expect some outages of the CI system too.

I don't want to rush your release process, but I would strongly consider tagging
pike no later then Thursday, Sept. 7th, giving a day before PTG maintenance.
Monday morning we'll be throwing the switch for real and all week at PTG, we'll
be providing office hours to help with zuulv3 migration issues.

That said, we have been testing our release jobs and confident they will be
working, but if you can tag before zuulv3, it might be less stressful.

[1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-August/120499.html