[openstack-dev] [all] [elections] Technical Committee Election Results

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Oct 26 09:27:28 UTC 2017

Tony Breeds wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 10:06:46PM -0400, David Moreau Simard wrote:
>> Was it just me or did the "official" period for campaigning/questions was
>> awfully short ?
>>
>> The schedule [1] went:
>> ​TC Campaigning: (Start) Oct 11, 2017 23:59 UTC (End) Oct 14, 2017 23:45
>> UTC​
>
> The original was:
>   - name: 'TC Campaigning'
>     start: '2017-10-09T23:59'
>     end:   '2017-10-12T23:45'
>
> but that needed to be adjusted (https://review.openstack.org/509654/)
>
> While that was still the same duration it was mid-week.
>
>> ​That's three days, one of which was a saturday.
>> Was it always this short ? It seems to me that this is not a lot of time to
>> the community to ask (read, and answer) thoughful ​questions.

There used to be no campaigning period at all, so it had been shorter :)

>> I realize this doesn't mean you can't keep asking questions once the actual
>> election voting start but I wonder if we should cut a few days from the
>> nomination and give it to the campaigning.
>
> I can't find anything that documents how long the nomination period
> needed to be, perhaps I missed it?  So we could do this but it's already
> quite short.  So more likely we could just extend the Campaigning period
> if that's the consensus.

Duration of campaigning period is not mandated by the TC charter, so
left at the appreciation of election officials.

> The whole election takes close to 3 weeks of officials time so I'd like
> to ask we be mindful of that before we extend things too much

It's clearly a balance between having interesting discussions and
triggering election fatigue. I'd say we need to have /some/ campaigning
time but not too much :)

Ideally discussions would start once people self-nominate, and we could
keep the period between nomination close and election start relatively
short (3/4 business days max).

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)