[openstack-dev] [ironic] Kernel parameters needed to boot from iscsi

Dmitry Tantsur dtantsur at redhat.com
Wed Oct 25 12:38:31 UTC 2017

On 10/25/2017 02:15 PM, Yolanda Robla Mota wrote:
> Answering inline...
>

>     Note that we only support BFV in the form of booting from a cinder volume
>     officially. We haven't looked into iBFV in depth.
>

> I have been testing that on the context of booting from SAN. It is at deploy
> time, in the context of TripleO, in the undercloud. At that point no cinder is
> there. We have been deploying with some ISCSI targets, and ironic consuming
> those instead of booting from local hard disk. I guess it is a different context.
>

>     This has been discussed several times, and every time the idea of making it
>     a generic feature was rejected. There is an option to configure kernel
>     parameters for PXE boot. However, apparently, you cannot add
>     rd.iscsi.firmware=1 if you don't use iSCSI, it will fail to boot (Derek told
>     me that, I did not check). If your deployment only uses iSCSI - you can
>     modify [pxe]pxe_append_params in your ironic.conf to include it.
>

> No PXE boot possible. As it is in the context of TripleO, we use the
> boot_option=local. I know that it is possible to customize with pxe boot, but we
> cannot rely on it, but have the kernel parameter on local boot.

Hmm, are we talking about IPA or user images? IPA always PXE boots, no matter
what boot_option we use. For user images with boot_option=local our only bet is
using the ansible deploy interface, I think (please review it!)

>     Well, we could probably do that *for IPA only*. Something like
>     driver_info/deploy_image_append_params. This is less controversial than
>     doing that for user instances, as we fully control the IPA boot. If you want
>     to work on it, let's start with a detailed RFE please.
>

> IPA boot works fine. Some time ago I added some patches on the ironic-agent
> element, to force the modprobe of several modules (including ibft, fcoe, etc...)
> That is because IPA image is not based on dracut, so it doesn't rely on parsing
> the cmdline from kernel boot and dracut hooks. The problem with kernel
> parameters is only happening now on the deployment image, and so far, the only
> working solution i could find, is execute a virt-customize on the image to add
> those.

So, this is where the confusion probably is: "deployment image" is IPA. And by
the way the IPA image used in TripleO is based on dracut.

If you're talking about instance or user image, then, as I mention above, the
only option we have now is the ansible deploy interface.