[openstack-dev] [ironic] Support for single OpenStack system supporting VM and Baremetal Instances simultaneously ?

Dmitry Tantsur dtantsur at redhat.com
Mon Oct 23 08:51:28 UTC 2017

Hi Greg!

Answers inline.

On 10/20/2017 09:25 PM, Waines, Greg wrote:
> Hey,
>
> We are in the process of integrating OpenStack Ironic into our own OpenStack
> Distribution.

Nice to hear :)

> Is there support for a single OpenStack system supporting VM and Baremetal
> Instances simultaneously ?  ( in NEWTON ?  in PIKE ? )
>
> I BELIEVE the answer is yes.
>
> BUT can someone confirm ?

Yes, we've been doing it with TripleO starting with Newton, but it was supported
even earlier. Here is what we do:
http://tripleo.org/install/advanced_deployment/baremetal_overcloud.html

> And then, if YES,
>
> THEN in such a system
>
> ·i know there is a nova-compute for each COMPUTE NODE, and
>
> ·i know there is a nova-compute for ALL the IRONIC NODEs

Not exactly - you can have many nova-compute instances for ironic, the nodes
will be spread over them via a hash ring.

> ·QUESTION:
>
> oIs there still ONLY A SINGLE nova-scheduler ?
>
> oi.e. which, based on the baremetal extraspec, schedules over the COMPUTE NODES
> or the IRONIC NODES ?

Yes.

What we do in TripleO is placing nova-computes for ironic on controller nodes (3
of them usually). Virtual nova-computes, of course, go to compute nodes. Then we
can add them to different host aggregates, thus separating ironic from vms - see
http://tripleo.org/install/advanced_deployment/baremetal_overcloud.html#assigning-host-aggregates