[openstack-dev] Fwd: [Distutils][pbr][devstack][qa] Announcement: Pip 10 is coming, and will move all internal APIs

Ian Wienand iwienand at redhat.com
Mon Oct 23 00:50:53 UTC 2017

On 10/22/2017 12:18 AM, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> Right, on Debian/Ubuntu it's not too terrible (cloud-init's
> dependencies are usually the biggest issue there and we manage to
> avoid them by building our own images with no cloud-init), but on
> Red Hat derivatives there are a lot of deep operating system
> internals built on top of packaged Python libraries which simply
> can't be uninstalled cleanly nor safely.

Also note though, if it can be uninstalled, we have often had problems
with the packages coming back and overwriting the pip installed
version, which leads to often very obscure problems.  For this reason
in various bits of devstack/devstack-gate/dib's pip install etc we
often install and pin packages to let pip overwrite them.

-i