[openstack-dev] Fwd: [Openstack-operators][tc] [keystone][all] v2.0 API removal

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Sun Oct 22 18:01:19 UTC 2017

Excerpts from Jeremy Stanley's message of 2017-10-21 13:37:01 +0000:
> On 2017-10-20 22:50:53 +0000 (+0000), Fox, Kevin M wrote:
> [...]
> > Ideally, there should be an OpenStack overarching architecture
> > team of some sort to handle this kind of thing I think.
>
> There was one for a while, but it dissolved due to lack of community
> participation. If you'd like to help reboot it, Clint B. can
> probably provide you with background on the previous attempt.

I'd be in support of reviving the Architecture Working Group (SIG?).

Would need to see more people commit to it though. It mostly felt like
a place for Thierry and me to write down our ideas, and a title to put
on a room at the PTG so we could have cross-project discussions about
our ideas.

That said, there is a cross-project process that works pretty well when
one project needs to ask for changes from other projects:

https://docs.openstack.org/project-team-guide/cross-project.html

I believe the Keystone team followed this process despite some fumbles
early in the v3 story.

> > Without such an entity though, I think the TC is probably
> > currently the best place to discuss it though?
>
> Contrary to the impression some people seem to have, the TC is not
> primarily composed of cloud architects; it's an elected body of
> community leaders who seek informed input from people like you. I've
> personally found no fault in the process and timeline the Keystone
> team followed in this situation but I'm also not the primary
> audience for their software, so it's good to hear from those who are
> about ways to improve similar cases in the future. However, I also
> understand that no matter how widely and carefully changes are
> communicated, there's only so much anyone can do to avoid surprising
> the subset of users who simply don't pay attention.

Right, the TC is more or less a legislative body. They can set policy
but they don't actually make sure the vision is implemented directly.

I made an argument that there's a need for an executive branch to get
hard things done here:

http://fewbar.com/2017/02/open-source-governance-needs-presidents/

Without some kind of immediate executive that sits above project levels,
we'll always be designing by committee and find our silos getting deeper.

All of that said, I believe the Keystone team did a great job of getting
something hard done. As Morgan states, it was a 100% necessary evolution
and required delicate orchestration. Well done Keystone team!