[openstack-dev] [nova] Interesting bug when unshelving an instance in an AZ and the AZ is gone

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Sun Oct 22 12:02:26 UTC 2017

On 10/16/2017 11:22 AM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> This is interesting from the user point of view:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1723880
>
> - The user creates an instance in a non-default AZ.
> - They shelve offload the instance.
> - The admin deletes the AZ that the instance was using, for whatever
> reason.
> - The user unshelves the instance which goes back through scheduling and
> fails with NoValidHost because the AZ on the original request spec no
> longer exists.
>
> Now the question is what, if anything, do we do about this bug? Some notes:
>
> 1. How reasonable is it for a user to expect in a stable production
> environment that AZs are going to be deleted from under them? We
> actually have a spec related to this but with AZ renames:
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/446446/

I don't think it's reasonable for a user to expect an AZ suddenly gets
*deleted* from under them, no.

That said, I think it's reasonable for operators to want to *rename* an
AZ. And because AZs in Nova aren't really *things* [1], attempting to
change the name of an AZ involves a bunch of nasty DB updates (including
shadow tables). [2]

> 2. Should we null out the instance.availability_zone when it's shelved
> offloaded like we do for the instance.host and instance.node attributes?
> Similarly, we would not take into account the
> RequestSpec.availability_zone when scheduling during unshelve. I tend to
> prefer this option because once you unshelve offload an instance, it's
> no longer associated with a host and therefore no longer associated with
> an AZ. However, is it reasonable to assume that the user doesn't care
> that the instance, once unshelved, is no longer in the originally
> requested AZ? Probably not a safe assumption.

Yeah, I don't think this is appropriate.

> 3. When a user unshelves, they can't propose a new AZ (and I don't think
> we want to add that capability to the unshelve API). So if the original
> AZ is gone, should we automatically remove the
> RequestSpec.availability_zone when scheduling? I tend to not like this
> as it's very implicit and the user could see the AZ on their instance
> change before and after unshelve and be confused.

I don't think this is something we should add to the public API (for
reasons Matt stated in a followup email to Dean). Instead, I think the
"rename AZ" functionality should do the needful DB-related tasks to
change the instance.availability_zone for shelved instances to the new
AZ name...

> 4. We could simply do nothing about this specific bug and assert the
> behavior is correct. The user requested an instance in a specific AZ,
> shelved that instance and when they wanted to unshelve it, it's no
> longer available so it fails. The user would have to delete the instance
> and create a new instance from the shelve snapshot image in a new AZ. If
> we implemented Sylvain's spec in #1 above, maybe we don't have this
> problem going forward since you couldn't remove/delete an AZ when there
> are even shelved offloaded instances still tied to it.

I think it's reasonable to prevent deletion of an AZ (whatever that
actually means... see [1]) when the AZ "has instances in it" (whatever
that means... see [1])

Best,
-jay

> Other options?

[1] AZs in Nova are just metadata key/values on aggregates and string
values in the instance.availability_zone DB table field that have no FK
relationship to said metadata key/values

[2] Note that, as I've said before, the entire concept of an
availability zone in Nova/Cinder/Neutron is completely fictional and
improperly pretending to be an AWS EC2 availability zone. AZs in Nova
pretend to be failure domains. They are not anything of the sort.