[openstack-dev] [TripleO][Kolla] Concerns about containers images in DockerHub

Steven Dake (stdake) stdake at cisco.com
Fri Oct 20 22:51:29 UTC 2017

Sam,

Agreed this matches my experience. Building one by one though will result in massive image size sprawl.

Regards
-steve

From: Sam Yaple <samuel at yaple.net>
Date: Thursday, October 19, 2017 at 10:37 PM
To: Gabriele Cerami <gcerami at redhat.com>
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [TripleO][Kolla] Concerns about containers images in DockerHub

On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 11:23 PM, Gabriele Cerami <gcerami at redhat.com<mailto:gcerami at redhat.com>> wrote:
On 19 Oct, Sam Yaple wrote:
> So it seems tripleo is building *all* images and then pushing them.
> Reworking your number leads me to believe you will be consuming 10-15GB in
> total on Dockerhub. Kolla images are only the size that you posted when
> built as seperate services. Just keep building all the images at the same
> time and you wont get anywhere near the numbers you posted.

Makes sense, so considering the shared layers
- a size of 10-15GB per build.
- 4-6 builds rotated per release
- 3-4 releases

- a size of 1-2GB per build
- 4-6 builds rotated per release
- 3-4 releases

At worst you are looking at 48GB not 360GB. Dont worry so much there!

total size will be approximately be 360GB in the worst case, and 120GB in
the best case, which seems a bit more reasonable.

Thanks for he clarifications