[openstack-dev] [TripleO][Kolla] Concerns about containers images in DockerHub

Gabriele Cerami gcerami at redhat.com
Thu Oct 19 15:03:17 UTC 2017

Hi,

our CI scripts are now automatically building, testing and pushing
approved openstack/RDO services images to public repositories in
dockerhub using ansible docker_image module.

Promotions have had some hiccups, but we're starting to regularly upload
new images every 4 hours.

When we'll get at full speed, we'll potentially have
- 3-4 different sets of images, one per release of openstack (counting a
  EOL release grace period)
- 90-100 different services images per release
- 4-6 different versions of the same image ( keeping older promoted
  images for a while )

At around 300MB per image a possible grand total is around 650GB of
space used.

We don't know if this is acceptable usage of dockerhub space and for
this we already sent a similar email the to docker support to ask
specifically if the user would get penalty in any way (e.g. enforcing
quotas, rete limiting, blocking). We're still waiting for a reply.

In any case it's critical to keep the usage around the estimate, and to
achieve this we need a way to automatically delete the older images.
docker_image module does not provide this functionality, and we think
the only way is issuing direct calls to dockerhub API

https://docs.docker.com/registry/spec/api/#deleting-an-image

docker_image module structure doesn't seem to encourage the addition of
such functionality directly in it, so we may be forced to use the uri
module.
With new images uploaded potentially every 4 hours, this will become a
problem to be solved within the next two weeks.

We'd appreciate any input for an existing, in progress and/or better
solution for bulk deletion, and issues that may arise with our space
usage in dockerhub

Thanks