[openstack-dev] [nova][neutron] Use neutron's new port binding API

Mooney, Sean K sean.k.mooney at intel.com
Thu Oct 19 10:19:10 UTC 2017

Hi matt
You not only currently so I taught I would respond to your question regarding the workflow via email.
http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-nova/%23openstack-nova.2017-10-18.log.html#t2017-10-18T20:29:02

mriedem             1. conductor asks scheduler for a host    20:29
mriedem             2. scheduler filter looks for ports with a qos policy and if found, gets allocatoin candidates for hosts that have a nested bw provider 20:29
mriedem             3. scheduler returns host to conductor  20:29
mriedem             4. conductor binds the port to the host  20:30
mriedem             5. the bound port profile has some allocation juju that nova proxies to placement as an allocation request for the port on the bw provider               20:30
mriedem             6. conductor sends to compute to build the instance       20:30
mriedem             7. compute activates the bound port      20:30
mriedem             8. compute plugs vifs     20:30
mriedem             9. profit?!

So my ideal workflow would be

1.       conductor calls allocate_for_instance https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/1b45b530448c45598b62e783bdd567480a8eb433/nova/network/neutronv2/api.py#L814
in schedule_and_build_instances https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/fce56ce8c04b20174cd89dfbc2c06f0068324b55/nova/conductor/manager.py#L1002
Before calling self._schedule_instances. This get or creates all neutron ports for the instance before we call the scheduler.

2.       conductor asks scheduler for a host by calling self._schedule_instances passing in the network_info object.

3.       scheduler extract placement requests form network_info object and adds them to the list it send to placement.

4.       Scheduler applies standard filters to placement candidates.

5.       scheduler returns host  after weighing to conductor.

6.       conductor binds the port to the host.

a.       if it fails early retry on next host in candidate set.

b.      Continue until port binding succeeds, retry limit is reached, or candidate are exhausted

7.       The conductor creates allocations for the host against all resource providers.

a.       When the port is bound neutron will populate the resource request for bandwidth, with the neutron agent uuid which will be the resource provider uuid to allocate from.

8.       conductor sends to compute to build the instance passing the allocations

9.       compute plugs vifs

10.   compute activates the bound port setting the allocation uuid on the port for all resource classes request by neutron

11.   excess of income over expenditure? :)

The important thing to note is nova recives all request for network resouces form neutron in the port objects created at step 1
Nova learns the backend resource provider for neutron at step 6 before it makes allocations
Nova then passes the allocation that were made back to neutron when it activate the port.

We have nova make the allocation for all resources to prevent any races between the conductor and neutron when updating the same nested resource provider tree.
(this was jays concern)
Neutron will create the inventories for bandwith but nova will allocate form the them.
The intent is for nova to not need to know what the resource it is claim are, but instead be able to accept a set of additional resocues to claim form neutron in a generic
Workflow which we can hopefully reuse for other project like cinder or cyborg in the future.

Regards sean.