[openstack-dev] [stable][mistral] Asking for stable branch policy exception

Dougal Matthews dougal at redhat.com
Tue Oct 17 13:19:54 UTC 2017

On 17 October 2017 at 09:19, Renat Akhmerov <renat.akhmerov at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have two patches in Mistral that we need to back port to stable/pike.
> However, they are against of stable branch management policy because they
> slightly change the DB schema. The patches are the following:
>
>    1. https://review.openstack.org/#/c/512528/
>    2. https://review.openstack.org/#/c/512256/
>

> #2 is a critically important fix that fixes a problem of decreasing
> Mistral performance when DB becomes heavy (has lots of execution objects).
> This is a blocker issue for us (Nokia) preventing us using Mistral in
> production. It also seriously optimizes performance in general.
>
> So hereby I'm asking your advice on what we can do in this situation. Can
> we merge these patches if we make sure that we don't break anyone in the
> community? For example, TripleO.

As far as I am aware, this wont be a problem for TripleO. These patches are
both additive (new db column and new db index).

The first patch (512528) is only a candidate for backport to avoid breaking
the migration history order, it isn't otherwise needed in Pike. How is this
normally handled in other projects? i.e. we need to backport migration 24
to Pike, but 23 is in master only. I assume this problem has came up before
and been solved, but I can't find any examples.