[openstack-dev] [Swift] SPDK uses Swift as a target system to support k-v store

Clay Gerrard clay.gerrard at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 21:17:45 UTC 2017

Sounds interesting!  I'd be *very* interested to see *any* work that's been
done to make use of SPDK functionality for faster or more efficient HTTP ->
rotational media storage.  Couple of thoughts...

1) I think the memcache or redis API would be a better target for SPDK
research than Swift's HTTP blobstore API  - if you're just going for a pure
generic kv interface to a abstract/SSD/NVMe/XPoint storage backend [1]

2) if you wanna see how you might store Swift objects in a generic k/v
store you might consider earlier work to support k/v drives [2]

Good luck, I'm excited to see how you might try to apply SPDK to OpenStack
Swift!

Say Hi to Paul!

-Clay

1. the account/container layer of the Swift API in particular leverages a
lot of query like functionality and i'm not aware of any successful attempt
at API parity on a pure k/v store abstraction.
2. https://github.com/swiftstack/kinetic-swift