[openstack-dev] [infra][all] Stable branch jobs in Zuul v3

James E. Blair corvus at inaugust.com
Mon Oct 16 17:55:13 UTC 2017

Hi,

If you have started moving Zuul configuration into your project repos,
please note the following:

  You will probably need to backport at least the "project" stanza to
  stable branches.

Zuul's configuration is global; that includes configuration loaded from
all branches of a project.  So you don't need to copy job definitions
from master to stable (but you can -- if you do, those become branch
variants and can be used to alter the behavior of that job on the stable
branch).

And when projects are defined in special repos we call "config
projects", such as the innovatively named "project-config", the jobs
added to those project-pipelines run on all branches (unless otherwise
specified).  That's why when we put the automatically converted project
definitions in project-config, those jobs generally run on all the
branches.

However, when a project definition appears in-repo, it is generally
assumed that those jobs should only run on that branch.  So the project
definition in master indicates which jobs should run on changes to
master, and the definition in stable/ocata says which jobs run on
changes to ocata.

This means a little more work up-front as you move project definitions
in-repo, but in the long run, it should be a very intuitive workflow.
Imagine when we branch stable/queens: the project definition that
currently appears in master will have a copy in stable/queens.  At that
point, further changes to the jobs which run on master will no longer
affect what jobs run on queens changes.  That's the workflow the system
is designed to make easy.

We have updated the migration documentation in the infra-manual to
mention this:

https://docs.openstack.org/infra/manual/zuulv3.html#stable-branches

-Jim