[openstack-dev] [tc] [stable] [tripleo] [kolla] [ansible] [puppet] Proposing changes in stable policy for installers

Alex Schultz aschultz at redhat.com
Mon Oct 16 15:28:08 UTC 2017

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 7:33 AM, Steven Dake (stdake) <stdake at cisco.com> wrote:
> Emilien,
>
> I generally thought the stable policy seemed reasonable enough for lifecycle management tools.  I’m not sure what specific problems you had in TripleO although I did read your review.  Kolla was just tagged with the stable policy, and TMK, we haven’t run into trouble yet, although the Kolla project is stable and has been following the stable policy for about 18 months.  If the requirements are watered down, the tag could potentially be meaningless.  We haven’t experienced this specific tag enough to know if it needs some refinement for the specific use case of lifecycle management tools.  That said, the follows release policy was created to handle the special case of lifecycle management tool’s upstream sources not being ready for lifecycle management tools to release at one coordinated release time.
>
> Kollians?  Any problems thus far with the stable policy?
>
> Cheers
> -steve

I'm not a Kolla person, but from the Puppet OpenStack stand point we
haven't been able to follow stable because we can't guarantee complete
configuration coverage for all the services. So while we don't
backport breaking changes (ie removing parameters from resources), we
do have to backport additions (adding params to resources/etc) as
folks start trying to use the upstream services. Since people are not
necessarily following master in their deployments, for example there's
a significant lag from operators who start trying to upgrade to Newton
about the time we're releasing Pike, etc etc.  These types of
additions could be seen as features because we didn't know we had to
add additional code to support the use case in the previous cycle.
Generally we're supporting our basic scenarios (which are pretty
extensive), but there are end user cases we don't test on a regular
basis which pop up from time to time where being able to say we
support a 'stable-policy' but will backport non-breaking changes if
necessary.

Thanks,
-Alex