[openstack-dev] [tc] [stable] [tripleo] [kolla] [ansible] [puppet] Proposing changes in stable policy for installers

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Mon Oct 16 11:27:34 UTC 2017

Emilien Macchi wrote:
> [...]
> ## Proposal
>
> Proposal 1: create a new policy that fits for projects like installers.
> I kicked-off something here: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/511968/
> (open for feedback).
> Content can be read here:
> http://docs-draft.openstack.org/68/511968/1/check/gate-project-team-guide-docs-ubuntu-xenial/1a5b40e//doc/build/html/stable-branches.html#support-phases
> Tag created here: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/511969/ (same,
> please review).
>
> The idea is really to not touch the current stable policy and create a
> new one, more "relax" that suits well for projects like installers.
>
> Proposal 2: change the current policy and be more relax for projects
> like installers.
> I haven't worked on this proposal while it was something I was
> considering doing first, because I realized it could bring confusion
> in which projects actually follow the real stable policy and the ones
> who have exceptions.
> That's why I thought having a dedicated tag would help to separate them.
>
> Proposal 3: no change anywhere, projects like installer can't claim
> stability etiquette (not my best option in my opinion).
>
> Anyway, feedback is welcome, I'm now listening. If you work on Kolla,
> TripleO, OpenStack-Ansible, PuppetOpenStack (or any project who has
> this need), please get involved in the review process.

My preference goes to proposal 1, however rather than call it "relaxed"
I would make it specific to deployment/lifecycle or cycle-trailing
projects.

Ideally this policy could get adopted by any such project. The
discussion started on the review and it's going well, so let's see where
it goes :)

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)