[openstack-dev] [ironic] Kernel parameters needed to boot from iscsi

Yolanda Robla Mota yroblamo at redhat.com
Mon Oct 16 09:06:27 UTC 2017

Hi
Recently i've been helping some customers in the boot from ISCSI feature.
So far everything was working, but we had a problem when booting the
deployment image.
It needed specifically a flag rd.iscsi.ibft=1 rd.iscsi.firmware=1 in the
grub commands. But as the generated deployment image doesn't contain these
flags, ISCSI was not booting properly. For other hardware setups, different
flags may be needed.
The solution was to manually execute a virt-customize on the deployment
image to hardcode these parameters.
I wonder if we can add some feature in Ironic to support it. We have
discussed about kernel parameters several times. But at this time, it
affects ISCSI booting. Not having a way in Ironic to customize these
parameters forces to manual workarounds.
So can we reconsider the proposal to add kernel parameters there? It could
be a settable argument (driver_info/kernel_args), and then the IPA could
set the parameters properly on the image. Or any other option is welcome.
What are your thoughts there?

Thanks

--

Yolanda Robla Mota