[openstack-dev] [tc][election] Question for candidates: How do you think we can make our community more inclusive?

Andrea Frittoli andrea.frittoli at gmail.com
Sat Oct 14 09:58:10 UTC 2017

On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 1:46 PM Flavio Percoco <flavio at redhat.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Some of you, TC candidates, expressed concerns about diversity and
> inclusiveness
> (or inclusivity, depending on your taste) in your candidacy. I believe
> this is a
> broad, and some times ill-used, topic so, I'd like to know, from y'all,
> how you
> think we could make our community more inclusive. What areas would you
> improve
> first?

Hi Flavio,

I'd continue promoting asynchronous communication, office hours and a good
use
of meetbot to generate good summaries (it's true that all IRC communication
is logged,
but it can be a lot of text to go through sometimes).

I'd propose we write training material on inclusiveness to be included in
the great work
of the upstream institute. We can use this to build and maintain awareness
in the
community.

It's important we don't think that training and educations are only for
new-comers into
the community. Especially after a few years in the community one may be
tempted
to fall into routines and/or preconceptions - it's important to keep an
open mind towards
people and ideas.

One idea that has been bouncing in mind is trainings for newly elected PTLs
or TCs or
any other interested individuals. I'm thinking especially of leaders since
their words
often bear a stronger impact on the community.

Perhaps self paced trainings where we present community guiding principles,
code of
conduct and vision or dedicated sessions at the PTG.

Faithfully,

Andrea Frittoli (andreaf)