[openstack-dev] [all][infra] Zuul v3 rollout, the sequel returns

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Fri Oct 13 19:57:02 UTC 2017

The tl;dr is that we're planning to roll forward out of our partial
Zuul v3 rollback starting at 22:00 UTC on Sunday October 15 (this
weekend), so expect some CI downtime and all of the benefits (though
hopefully none of the drawbacks!) you witnessed when we tried the
first time. At that time, v2 jobs reported by the "Jenkins" account
will cease to be relevant, and v3 jobs reported by the "Zuul"
account will be used to determine whether your changes can merge.

As Monty noted earlier in the week, our plans to roll forward onto
Zuul v3 were halted by a number of unrelated infrastructure fires
which demanded our immediate attention as a team, so we reluctantly
postponed. Following a (brief) hiatus yesterday, check pipeline
processing has been readded to zuulv3.openstack.org for all projects
so you can get fresh results back on v3 jobs between now and our
maintenance if you happen to be around testing it out. We also still
have an expedited priority "infra-check" pipeline on zuulv3 for
changes to the project-config repository so that emergency fixes
for legacy jobs can be merged quickly, and we'll be keeping this for
some time after the transition until it ceases to be necessary.

We anticipate an outage for the CI system of somewhere between 30-60
minutes starting at 22:00 UTC on Sunday October 15. In the meantime,
if you've been digging into recent legacy job failures for your
projects you should consider trying to bring them to our attention
as soon as possible (in #openstack-infra on the Freenode IRC
network, or replying on-list to this announcement) and work on
fixing them if you're familiar enough with the failures to do so
yourself. It also helps to get them onto the triage list we have
been maintaining here:

    https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/zuulv3-issues

We're assembling a sort of FAQ in the migration guide
here:

    https://docs.openstack.org/infra/manual/zuulv3.html

...and we also have some more content in progress at:

    https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/zuulv3-migration-faq

Here's to the week ahead!
--
Jeremy Stanley