[openstack-dev] [all][tc] TC Candidates: what does an OpenStack user look like?

Andrea Frittoli andrea.frittoli at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 17:26:44 UTC 2017

On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 5:51 PM Zane Bitter <zbitter at redhat.com> wrote:

> (Reminder: we are in the TC election campaigning period, and we all have
> the opportunity to question the candidates. The campaigning period ends
> on Saturday, so make with the questions.)
>

> In my head, I have a mental picture of who I'm building OpenStack for.
> When I'm making design decisions I try to think about how it will affect
> these hypothetical near-future users. By 'users' here I mean end-users,
> the actual consumers of OpenStack APIs. What will it enable them to do?
> What will they have to work around? I think we probably all do this, at
> least subconsciously. (Free tip: try doing it consciously.)
>
> So my question to the TC candidates (and incumbent TC members, or anyone
> else, if they want to answer) is: what does the hypothetical OpenStack
> user that is top-of-mind in your head look like? Who are _you_ building
> OpenStack for?

Unlike a few years ago we don't walk so much in the dark anymore.
We now know a lot of our users because:
- some are contributors to OpenStack. OpenStack developers but not only.
With
  contributors to OpenStack I don't mean only code, but any kind of
contribution,
  like presenting and discussing use cases at the PTG, at the forum or on
the
  mailing list, providing feedback, ideas, resources and even motivation.
- some are adjacent communities that depend on or collaborate with
OpenStack.
- some answer our user survey.

So who am _I_ building OpenStack for?

- For OpenStack developers, since I work mostly on QA and CI
- For the users that are closer to the OpenStack community. I don't want to
focus
  on hypothetical users that don't care to talk to the OpenStack community.
  Consistency across projects in they way they different projects are
built, tested,
  deployed, operated, documented and consumed is important for this type of
users.
- I build it to be a good software for everyone to use. I care about
usability, good
  documentation, stable APIs, proper logging features that
  make it a good software for anyone to invest their time on.

Faithfully,

Andrea Frittoli (andreaf)