[openstack-dev] [tc][election] Question for candidates: How do you think we can make our community more inclusive?

Ildiko Vancsa ildiko.vancsa at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 14:01:58 UTC 2017

Hi Flavio,

I would like to refer to another thread about areas the TC should be more active in raised by Ed Leafe where trust and mentorship were brought up by a few of us.

I think one of the key factors of being open and inclusive is to help and mentor new contributors/community members regardless where and who they are.

To mention examples, we have several places around the globe with time zones we didn’t necessarily keep in mind in the past or areas where language barriers are higher. I think we need to spend time on understanding what the barriers might be that keep people back from actively participating in the community while we are thinking about actions.

Seeing the activity on the #openstack-tc channel I think that’s a great example of how to involve and engage more people in the different discussions by removing the dedicated meeting slot and switch to office hours and providing a forum where TC members are available to everyone.

We have a new proposal to create a SIG called (something like) 'First Contact SIG’. I hope discussions on diversity and inclusiveness will come up there with the people who are passionate about on-boarding. As joining an open environment can be challenging and intimidating having people who are eager to help visible and accessible is crucial.

To the margin, I think on the technology side we are progressing well, so I would not reflect on that in this thread.

Thanks and Best Regards,
Ildikó