[openstack-dev] [all][tc] TC Candidates: what does an OpenStack user look like?

Ildiko Vancsa ildiko.vancsa at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 07:32:30 UTC 2017

Hi All,

Let me reflect to the question in the subject first where I would like to stick to the word ‘user’ and keep my answer simple. I think an OpenStack user is/looks like as an average person.

To give a longer explanation, in my view when we are designing our user-facing API’s we need to keep in mind that we don’t know who is going to use them BUT let that be an application developer, a researcher or even a person who seeks for a place for their IRC-bouncer, so anyone who interacts with them, should be equally able to do so without a PhD degree, the history of the development process of a particular functionality, without the need to read the code first and so forth.

The above statement is applicable in any given period of time, meaning to provide a consistent and consistently pleasant and functional environment from release to release.

To answer the follow up question on 'Who are _you_ building OpenStack for?’ I would mention operators as well, who need to deal with deploying, configuring, troubleshooting and managing the daily operational tasks regardless of the location, nature and size of an OpenStack deployment.

I think as in many cases when this topic comes up it’s more of a social than a technical challenge.

To continue on that aspect, when I’m involved in a feature design and development activity I like to imagine that I will be the one, who will operate the service and use the newly introduced functionality. It helps much to avoid decisions that sacrifices the operator and user experience in favor of faster and easier design and implementation. I also like to encourage the fellow community members to do the same and also to play with what we are producing to get the first hand experience.

If the intention is there and we have the right mindset the technology will help us in the technical implications like automation, maintainability, complexity, documentation and so forth.

Thanks and Best Regards,
Ildikó
(IRC: ildikov)