[openstack-dev] [packaging][all] Sample Config Files in setup.cfg

Jesse Pretorius Jesse.Pretorius at rackspace.co.uk
Thu Oct 12 09:06:28 UTC 2017

On 10/12/17, 8:55 AM, "Thomas Goirand" <zigo at debian.org> wrote:

> Now, there's something which I still am not completely sure. Are you
> willing to push for *samples*, or real configuration files which we can
> actually use? Depending on your answer, the destination location will be
> different, and probably the only thing we need is some logic to disable
> the installation of config files (and then we just do it at the
> packaging level as we've been used to do so far).

Yes, from a project standpoint they will be samples. It is up to the consumer of those to determine whether they are usable for production or not. In our case we will still be modifying them – we just want them in the package so that we do not have to fetch them from git.

> Also, in the packaging process, there's a few tweaks that are necessary
> for the distro integration. A quick example: in the nova package, I've
> set sensible default for [DEFAULT]/pybasedir, [DEFAULT]/bindir,
> [DEFAULT]/state_path. Even if you were shipping a nova.conf in the
> correct location, the Debian package would have to fix these directives.
> I've seen that Ubuntu does something similar also.

‘Sensible defaults’ are subjective to the use-case. As mentioned above, we will be modifying the files and I expect that all distributions/deployments have adjustments to better suit their use-cases. In this particular case you’re mentioning .conf files which are supposed to be generated, not included.

> I still didn't have any reply on my PBR change proposal. Your thoughts?

Your proposal is likely going to end up requiring multiple env vars because data_files could be marked for any location – unless you’re wanting some sort of env var for each top level file destination? In that case it’s going to get messy fast. It sounds like it’d be better to try and implement another file type in distutils/setuptools which is recognized as different. Perhaps something like ‘config_files’ which could then have its own CLI option to place them differently to ‘data_files’.

Rackspace Limited is a company registered in England & Wales (company registered number 03897010) whose registered office is at 5 Millington Road, Hyde Park Hayes, Middlesex UB3 4AZ. Rackspace Limited privacy policy can be viewed at www.rackspace.co.uk/legal/privacy-policy - This e-mail message may contain confidential or privileged information intended for the recipient. Any dissemination, distribution or copying of the enclosed material is prohibited. If you receive this transmission in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail at abuse at rackspace.com and delete the original message. Your cooperation is appreciated.