[openstack-dev] [docs] Flagging deprecated releases

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Tue Oct 10 19:46:00 UTC 2017

Excerpts from Jimmy McArthur's message of 2017-10-10 14:15:52 -0500:
> Hi all -
>
> I'm following up on the PTG action item to add a CSS banner for older
> releases (e.g. https://releases.openstack.org/newton/index.html).  Does
> anyone have specific language they'd like to see here or should I just
> riff it?
>
> I was considering a CSS overlay similar to what you see when you scroll
> down below the nav (e.g. https://www.openstack.org/software/security/).
> Here's a quick comp: https://www.screencast.com/t/Kbz0Sh8uRb7
>
> If you like the direction this is going, I'll send along to people that
> are real designers (not me).
>
> Cheers,
> Jimmy

When I was updating the landing pages and adding the old release series,
I identified 5 different statuses: obsolete, EOL, maintained, current, and
development. Those are encoded in the SERIES_INFO data in the template
generator
(http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/openstack-manuals/tree/tools/www-generator.py#n43).

Austin is an example of an obsolete series, and there's some text on
that landing page about "no longer supported by the community".
https://docs.openstack.org/austin/

It looks like I used the same text for Icehouse, which is an EOL
release. https://docs.openstack.org/icehouse/

The text for Ocata just says "this is not the latest release":
https://docs.openstack.org/ocata/

The text for Pike, the "current" release, says "this is the latest
release": https://docs.openstack.org/pike/

And Queens says "this release is currently under development":
https://docs.openstack.org/queens/

I don't care especially much about the text, and we can make the badges
and landing pages match once we decide what we want, but I think we need
the 4 distinct statuses (where obsolete and EOL are the same).

On a technical note from someone who has poor web-fu, will we be
able to inject text into the overlay for old docs without rebuilding
them? For example, we can update the pike docs now but when that
branch goes EOL we want the text to update to say that without us
having to rebuild the pike docs. Ideally we would be able to just update
the SERIES_INFO settings and the next time a pike page is loaded the
correct badge will appear.

Doug