[openstack-dev] [packaging][all] Sample Config Files in setup.cfg

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Tue Oct 10 19:28:35 UTC 2017

On 10/10/2017 01:21 PM, Jesse Pretorius wrote:

> On 10/10/17, 12:08 PM, "Jesse Pretorius" <Jesse.Pretorius at rackspace.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>    $ python setup.py install --skip-build --root /tmp/keystone --install-data /
>
> Apologies – I copied the wrong command, it should have been:
>
> $ python setup.py install --root /tmp/keystone --install-data /

Isn't it that "--install-data" carries a different meaning than config
files? To me, its semantic was data files, not config files. Which leads
me to the idea that "data_files" in setup.cfg is probably the wrong way
to describe config files. Typically, in distros, we'd have data files
(for example, timezone data, pictures, docs, etc.) in /usr/share, while
config files lives in /etc. Aren't we here mixing 2 concepts?

For example, if we take openstack-doc-tools's setup.cfg, it has under
data_files:

data_files =
    share/openstack-doc-tools/sitemap = sitemap/*
    share/openstack-doc-tools/cleanup = cleanup/*

Typically, for openstackdocstheme, I'd prefer these files to end up under:

/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/openstackdocstheme

(sed s/2.7/3/ if using Python 3)

With your method, wouldn't these files end up in the wrong location, ie
outside of /usr? What if openstackdocstheme has both config files and
"real" data files?

Probably, we need a method to handle both cases: config files and data
files. In fact, don't think PBR's data_files is designed for handling
config files at all. Which is the very reason why I think it's broken to
use it the proposed way.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)