[openstack-dev] [all][infra] Zuul v3 rollout, the sequel

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Mon Oct 9 23:59:31 UTC 2017

The tl;dr is that we're planning to roll forward out of our partial
Zuul v3 rollback starting at 11:00 UTC on Wednesday October 11
(a little over 35 hours from now), so expect some CI downtime and
all of the benefits (though hopefully none of the drawbacks!) you
witnessed when we tried the first time.

It's been right at a week since we instituted a partial rollback of
our initial v3 roll-out. That week has been filled by diagnosing and
fixing all of the misbehaviors and performance degradation we
identified, including some new issues we discovered while running
under even heavier load and memory pressure artificially induced by
trying to fire check jobs for everything v2 was running but with
only a fraction of the node capacity. Numerous issues within the
translated legacy job configs were also fixed, and a bunch more of
them replaced by v3-native jobs.

We anticipate an outage for the CI system of somewhere between 30-60
minutes starting at 11:00 UTC on Wednesday October 11. Once
complete, we'll send a follow-up announcement along with a link to
where we're coordinating and triaging any newly observed issues. In
the meantime, if you've been digging into recent legacy job failures
for your projects you should consider trying to bring them to our
attention as soon as possible (in #openstack-infra on the Freenode
IRC network, or replying on-list to this announcement) and work on
fixing them if you're familiar enough with the failures to do so
yourself. We're assembling a sort of FAQ in the migration guide
here:

    https://docs.openstack.org/infra/manual/zuulv3.html

...and we also have some more content in progress at:

    https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/zuulv3-migration-faq

In summary, Zuul v3 is looking better than ever, and we hope you'll
be as pleased with it as we are!
--
Jeremy Stanley