[openstack-dev] [packaging][all] Sample Config Files in setup.cfg

Jean-Philippe Evrard jean-philippe at evrard.me
Mon Oct 9 06:44:05 UTC 2017

On Sat, Oct 7, 2017 at 11:30 AM, Thomas Goirand <zigo at debian.org> wrote:
> On 10/03/2017 03:07 PM, Luigi Toscano wrote:
>>> Why not? Simply because installing config files in /usr/etc is silly.
>>> The question would rather be: why not accepting the PBR patch...
>>
>> It is silly, but again, people consuming from deb or RPM won't notice it.
>
> Though people doing the packaging will suffer. Please don't throw the
> baby over the wall, and let's fix the issue.
>
>> Sure, having the python tools install the files in the right directory is the
>> ideal final solution.
>
> Let's get there then. In the mean while, don't break stuff.
>
>> My point is that the proposed solution is not worse than
>> the previous one and fixes at least one use case that was not previously
>> covered (the one that can be easily fixed).
>
> You are proposing to induce pain to everyone doing packaging, just
> because it solves your developer pip use case. That's not what OpenStack
> used to do, and that's not fair. Let's fix things properly *first*
> please, maybe by discussing the PBR fix I linked to. Can we agree that
> this is the pragmatic easy (but maybe temporarily) way to fix the issue,
> even if it's not perfect and a setuptools fix would be better?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Thomas Goirand (zigo)

Hello Thomas,

Yes, some people suffer from changes. But other people already suffer
on a regular basis to NOT change too. There is no easy win here.

IMO, this is fixing things properly. First we make things uniform,
then we improve them. By making things uniform and agreed upon, we
are progressing.

If you want to include the fix for PBR, or refresh it, don't hesitate
to propose a follow-up patch.
In any case, I don't think it's a good idea to wait for things to
happen, and expect that uniformity will happen naturally. This is a
step in the right direction.

On top of that we are still early in the Queens cycle, so it leaves a
chance to the packagers to react. I think it's good timing.

Best regards,
Jean-Philippe Evrard (evrardjp)