[openstack-dev] Supporting SSH host certificates

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Fri Oct 6 22:24:11 UTC 2017

Excerpts from Giuseppe de Candia's message of 2017-10-06 13:49:43 -0500:
> Hi Clint,
>
> Isn't user-data by definition available via the Metadata API, which isn't
> considered secure:
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/OSSN/OSSN-0074

Correct! The thinking is to account for the MITM attack vector, not
host or instance security as a whole. One would hope the box comes up
in a mostly drone-like state until it can be hardened with a new secret
host key.

> Or is there a way to specify that certain user-data should only be
> available via config-drive (and not metadata api)?
>
> Otherwise, the only difference I see compared to using Meta-data is that
> the process you describe is driven by the user vs. automated.
>
> Regarding the extra plumbing, I'm not trying to avoid it. I'm thinking to
> eventually tie this all into Keystone. For example, a project should have
> Host CA and User CA keys. Let's assume OpenStack manages these for now,
> later we can consider OpenStack simply proxying signature requests and
> vouching that a public key does actually belong to a specific instance (and
> host-name) or Keystone user. So what I think should happen is when a
> Project is enabled for SSHaaS support, any VM instance automatically gets
> host certificate, authorized principal files based on Keystone roles for
> the project, and users can call an API (or Dashboard form) to get a public
> key signed (and assigned appropriate SSH principals).

Fascinating, but it's hard for me to get excited about this when I can
just handle MITM security myself.

Note that the other existing techniques are simpler too. Most instances
will print the public host key to the console. The API offers console
access, so it can be scraped for the host key.