[openstack-dev] [release] Release countdown for week R-20, October 6-13

Sean McGinnis sean.mcginnis at gmx.com
Fri Oct 6 14:06:50 UTC 2017

Welcome to our regular release countdown email. Hopefully things will settle
down and I'll start getting these out a little earlier.

Development Focus
-----------------

We are just one week away from the first Queens milestone already. Time flies.

Team focus should be on spec approval and implementation for priority features.
We are starting to enter spec freeze for many projects. Please be aware of the
project specific deadlines that vary slightly from the overall release
schedule.

Speaking of deadlines - this is the last week for projects to switch release
models if they are considering it. Stop by the #openstack-release channel if
you have any questions about how this works.

Teams should now be making progress towards the cycle goals [1]. Please
prioritize reviews for these appropriately. There has been some good progress
so far, but definitely more work to do. Things may have stalled a little with
the tempest slit-out goal due to zuul activities, but policy work should be
able to continue [2].

[1] https://governance.openstack.org/tc/goals/queens/index.html
[2] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-October/123040.html

Another quick reminder - if your project has a library that is still a 0.x
release, start thinking about when it will be appropriate to do a 1.0 version.
The version number does signal the state, real or perceived, of the library, so
we strongly encourage going to a full major version once things are in a good
and usable state.

Finally, we would love to have all the liaisons attend the release team meeting
every Friday [3]. Anyone is welcome.

[3] http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/#Release_Team_Meeting

General Information
-------------------

Next week is the first milestone of the Queens development cycle.

Also note that there is just a little more time to do final wrap up of Newton.
Tony gave that a few more days due to other distractions.

Upcoming Deadlines & Dates

Queens-1 milestone: October 19 (R-19 week)
Forum at OpenStack Summit in Sydney: November 6-8
Last Newton Library releases October 8
Newton Branch EOL October 18

--
Sean McGinnis (smcginnis)