[openstack-dev] Project Ideas for Graduate Student

Luke Hinds lhinds at redhat.com
Fri Oct 6 08:14:47 UTC 2017

On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 11:37 PM, Mike Perez <mike at openstack.org> wrote:

> On 15:27 Oct 05, Mike Perez wrote:
> > On 02:59 Oct 05, Puneet Jain wrote:
> > > Hello all,
> > >
> > > I am a graduate student and have intermediate knowledge and huge in
> cloud
> > > computing. I am looking for a project idea, particularly any new
> feature I
> > > can implement in OpenStack.
> > >
> > > I thought of implementing multi-factor authentication but happened to
> know
> > > that it has already been implemented.
> > > https://docs.openstack.org/security-guide/identity/authentication.html
> > >
> > > I would prefer to do something in security. Any ideas?
> > >
> > > Looking forward to hearing from you guys. Thanks in advance!
> >
> > Welcome to the community Puneet! We have various Security group related
> > projects listed here:
> >
> > https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Security
> >
> > You can also find various Security/Identity/Compliance OpenStack project
> > services listed in our project navigator:
> >
> > https://www.openstack.org/software/project-navigator/
> >
> > Also on freenode irc we have #openstack-security. You can see more
> channels:
> >
> > https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/IRC
> >
> > Here are some helpful documents in setting up IRC, git, and the various
> > accounts you'll be using in our community:
> >
> > https://docs.openstack.org/upstream-training/irc.html
> > https://docs.openstack.org/upstream-training/git.html
> > https://docs.openstack.org/upstream-training/accounts.html
> >
> > --
> > Mike Perez
>
> Actually this account setup documentation is more up-to-date and better:
>
> https://docs.openstack.org/infra/manual/developers.html#account-setup
>
> --
> Mike Perez

Further to what is already said, you're welcome to join us on the weekly
security meeting where we discuss security projects such as Bandit
(security lint scanner) and Syntribos (API fuzzer). We also help incubate
new projects if you have some ideas you would like to float.

We meet on freenode IRC channel #openstack-meeting-alt @ 17:00 UTC each
week.

As mentioned there is also Barbican who meet as well
on #openstack-meeting-alt Monday @ 20.00 UTC and are very welcoming group
of folks who welcome new contributions.

Welcome to come along and say hi!