[openstack-dev] [tc][docs][release] Updating the PTI for docs and tarballs

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Thu Oct 5 13:45:52 UTC 2017

On 09/30/2017 10:40 AM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> * Python projects that need to build C extensions might need their pip
>> requirements (and bindep requirements) installed in order to run
>> bdist_wheel. We do not support that broadly at the moment ANYWAY - so
>> I'd like to leave that as an outlier and handle it when we need to
>> handle it.
>>
>> * It's *possible* that somewhere we have a repo that has somehow done
>> something that would cause python setup.py sdist or python setup.py
>> bdist_wheel to not work without pip requirements installed. I believe we
>> should consider that a bug and fix it in the project if we find such a
>> thing - but since we use pbr in all of the OpenStack projects, I find it
>> extremely unlikely.
>>
>> Governance patch submitted: https://review.openstack.org/508693
>>
>> Sphinx Documentation
>> ====================
>>
>> Doc builds are more complex - but I think there is a high amount of
>> value in changing how we invoke them for a few reasons.
>>
>> a) nobody uses 'tox -evenv -- python setup.py build_sphinx' but us
>> b) we decided to use sphinx for go and javascript - but we invoke sphinx
>> differently for each of those (since they naturally don't have tox),
>> meaning we can't just have a "build-sphinx-docs" job and even share it
>> with ourselves.
>> c) readthedocs.org is an excellent Open Source site that builds and
>> hosts sphinx docs for projects. They have an interface for docs
>> requirements documented and defined that we can align. By aligning,
>> projects can use migrate between docs.o.o and readthedocs.org and still
>> have a consistent experience.
>>
>> The PTI I'd like to propose for this is more complex, so I'd like to
>> describe it in terms of:
>>
>> - OpenStack organizational requirements
>> - helper sugar for developers with per-language recommendations
>>
>> I believe the result can be a single in-tree doc PTI that applies to
>> python, go and javascript - and a single Zuul job that applies to all of
>> our projects AND non-OpenStack projects as well.
>>
>> Organizational Requirements
>> ---------------------------
>>
>> Following readthedocs.org logic we can actually support a wider range of
>> schemes technically, but there is human value in having consistency on
>> these topics across our OpenStack repos.
>>
>> * docs live in doc/source
>> * Python requirements needed by Sphinx to build the docs live in
>> doc/requirements.txt
>>
>> If the project is python:
>>
>> * doc/requirements.txt can assume the project will have been installed
>> * The following should be set in setup.cfg:
>>
>>     [build_sphinx]
>>     source-dir = doc/source
>>     build-dir = doc/build
>>
>> Doing the above allows the following commands to work cleanly in
>> automation no matter what the language is:
>>
>>     [ -f doc/requirements.txt ] && pip install -rdoc/requirements.txt
>>     sphinx-build -b doc/source doc/build
>
> I suspect you mean "sphinx-build -b html doc/source doc/build" (the

Yes! Please amend all code examples with the things to make them
actually work. :)

> We should also include a PDF build, since it is useful for
> users who do not have good access to docs.o.o (especially when
> governments block the site).

YES

> We should also formalize how we are going to handle translations
> for both HTML and PDF. I think some of that is implemented, but I'm
> not sure if it's actually documented anywhere.

We've got translation handling connected to sphinx builds integrated
into the releasenotes job. I was just saying to AJaeger that I would
love to see that extracted into a Sphinx plugin perhaps - but whatever
it is, I could not agree more.

It also occurs to me (just was poking at the v3 releasenotes job updates
mnaser did) - that we should perhaps:

a) add reno releasenotes to the PTI for all languages
b) similar to doc/requirements.txt add support for
releasenotes/requirements.txt - so that we could share much of the same
logic between releasenotes and docs jobs.

and ...

c) probably add 'use openstackdocstheme" to the docs PTI.

> Ian started a separate thread about this [1] that didn't see much
> in the way of response because everyone was involved in the zuul
> migration work.
>
> [1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-September/122461.html

Awesome. I'll respond over there too.