[openstack-dev] [nova] Should we allow passing new user_data during rebuild?

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 15:53:44 UTC 2017

We plan on deprecating personality files from the compute API in a new
microversion. The spec for that is here:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/509013/

Today you can pass new personality files to inject during rebuild, and
at the PTG we said we'd allow passing new user_data to rebuild as a
replacement for the personality files.

However, if the only reason one would need to pass personality files
during rebuild is because we don't persist them during the initial
server create, do we really need to also allow passing user_data for
rebuild? The initial user_data is stored with the instance during
create, and re-used during rebuild, so do we need to allow updating it
during rebuild?

Matt