[openstack-dev] [all] Dublin PTG format

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Tue Nov 28 09:46:21 UTC 2017

On Tue, 28 Nov 2017, Flavio Percoco wrote:

> Others have raised concerns about being able to properly keep the momentum of
> the day going if we adopt the new format. I have to admit that I'm also
> concerned about this. Switching context every half day may not be ideal.

This is the real crux of the biscuit. For team oriented work being
able to get into the nova-zone (or whatever) for an extended period
is important. Having to switch in and out of that per day would not
be pleasant and would also make the time less effective.

At base, I think part of the challenge with how we manage this stuff
is that because the available time is such a scarce resource (10
days out of 365) we want to make sure we touch upon everything that
matters. But bouncing from topic to topic means that each topic and
the people involved do not get the depth of engagement for it to
really matter. In the end what matters is not so much that we talk
about any particular topic, but that we talk about any topic, so
that we develop the shared language that allows us to talk about it
more later.

Which is just a long-winded way of saying: Let's not parcel time
into small chunks.

--
Chris Dent                      (⊙_⊙')         https://anticdent.org/