[openstack-dev] [all] Community managed tech/dev blog: Call for opinions and ideas

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue Nov 28 09:41:36 UTC 2017

Flavio Percoco wrote:
> On 27/11/17 13:14 -0600, Jimmy McArthur wrote:
>>

>> Joshua Harlow wrote:
>>> With say an editor that solicits (and backlogs topics and stories
>>> and such) various developers/architects at various companies and
>>> creates a actually human curated place for developers and technology
>>> and architecture to be spot-lighted.
>>>
>>> To me personal blogs can be used for this, sure, but that sort of
>>> misses the point of having a place that is targeted for this (and no
>>> I don't really care about finding and subscribing to 100+ random joe
>>> blogs that I will never look at more than once). Ideally that place
>>> would not become `elitist` as some others have mentioned in this
>>> thread (ie, don't pick an elitist editor? lol).
>>>
>>> The big desire for me is to actually have a editor (a person or
>>> people) involved that is keeping such a blog going and editing it
>>> and curating it and ensuring it gets found in google searches and is
>>> *developer* focused...
>>
>> This is basically what https://www.openstack.org/blog/ is for. It's
>> using Wordpress. It's developer-centric. Anyone can submit to it and
>> we have editors that can publish it. We also have pretty solid SEO.
>
> Interestingly enough, not many folks are (were) aware of this. It was not
> brought up during the discussion at the forum. I'm glad you did, though.
>
> If we already have a platform for this then I would say we need to
> promote it
> more and find someone (Josh? ;) that will actively seek for content.
>
> Thanks for pointing us to o.o/blog, Jimmy.

Historically blog.o.o used to be our only blog outlet, so almost
anything would go in:

"OpenStack Events Sponsorship Webinar"
"New Foundation Gold Members & Corporate Sponsors"
"HP Announces Private Beta Program for OpenStack Cloud"
"2016 OpenStack T-Shirt Design Contest"

What Josh wants is a curated technical blog, so if we reused blog.o.o
for this (and I think it's a good idea), we'd likely want to have a bit
more rules on what's appropriate.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)