[openstack-dev] Sydne Summit Project Onboarding Retrospective

Kendall Nelson kennelson11 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 18:34:17 UTC 2017

Hello Everyone :)

I hope you all had a good summit and a little bit of time to reflect on how
things went. I wanted to collect some information about how things went and
how to improve for Vancouver.

Feedback from last round to keep in mind:

   -

   Minimize conflicts between other Summit talks and the onboarding session
   going on
   -

   Recording the sessions
   -

   Bigger rooms?
   -

   Make sure attendees and project reps are aware of what it covered in the
   upstream training
   -

   Could advertise more
   -

   Don’t overlap or go up until happy hour if possible ;)
   -

   Have different options of durations for projects to sign up for

------------------------------------

This round we addressed some of these things:

   - This time I tried to focus a bit more on collecting speakers before
   hand and double checking there weren't conflicts with other presentations
   scheduled.
   - Got bigger rooms :)
   - Time slots were tweaked to be smaller but gave extra time to those
   that asked for it.
   - Advertised the project onboarding rooms at Upstream Institute
   (Saturday/Sunday before the summit) and at the WoO Speed Mentoring Session
   (Monday lunchtime).

Things I see as improvements for next time still:

   - Obviously, people still want recordings :)
   - Trying to schedule the onboarding rooms to precede or follow project
   updates?
   - Advertise more
   - Unify on set of topics for onboarding rooms to cover- i.e code
   structure/ what sub repos exist/ how to run unit tests/ who works on the
   project

I created an etherpad to continue this discussion[1]. Please add to the
list of improvements for next time, as I know there are more than 4 things
to improve on. Also, if you have ideas for how to make these improvements,
please add those to the etherpad as well.

I think onboarding new project members is incredibly important for the
future success of OpenStack. Help me make it better :)

Thanks!

-Kendall Nelson (diablo_rojo)

[1] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/SYD_Onboarding_Retrospective