[openstack-dev] [api] APIs schema consumption discussion

Gilles Dubreuil gdubreui at redhat.com
Thu Nov 23 04:43:52 UTC 2017

On 23/11/17 07:04, Graham Hayes wrote:

> On 16/11/17 01:56, Gilles Dubreuil wrote:
>> On 15/11/17 03:07, Doug Hellmann wrote:
>>> Excerpts from Gilles Dubreuil's message of 2017-11-14 10:15:02 +1100:

>>> Please do not build something that looks like SOAP based on parsing RST
>>> files. Surely we can at least work directly from JSONSchema inputs?
>> I'm glad you said that :).
>> Working directly from YAML or JSON files (format to be discussed) to
>> maintain the schema seems (to me too) the natural approach.
>>
>> Meaning every project to change current practice: maintain the schema
>> files instead of maintaining RST files.
>> I suppose there has been suggestion to do it the other way (parse the
>> RST files) because of the latter impact on the current practice, but it
>> shouldn't be a blocker.
>>
>> Gil
>>
> When I was talking to Gil about it, I suggested writing a new sphinx /
> docutils formatter. I am not sure how feasible it would be, but it could
> be possible (as sphinx has the whole page tree in memory when writing it
> out, we may be able to output it in some sort of structured format.

That makes sense if the tree is already loaded, could you please provide
a pointer?

> I would be hesitant to change how we write docs - this change took long
> enough to get in place, and the ability to add / remove bits to suit
> different projects is a good thing. Pages like [1] would be hard to do
> in a standard machine readable format, and I think they definitely make
> the docs better.

First off, let me insist: "The reference guides are absolutely great". I
guess that's the ransom of the success! :)
So, from outside (as a blackbox) the doc generation process, it made
sense to have a work flow going from a structured tree to the docs,
meanwhile if the same information can be obtained from the existing that
sounds good.

> - Graham
>
> 1 - https://developer.openstack.org/api-ref/compute/#servers-servers

Gil