[openstack-dev] [nova] Add scenario tests based on multiple cells environment

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 18:58:46 UTC 2017

On 11/21/2017 2:37 AM, koshiya maho wrote:
> Hi, all
>
> Multiple cells (Nova-Cells-v2) is supported in Pike release.
> It is necessary to confirm that existing APIs work appropriately in the multiple cells environment.
> We will post multiple patches, so I created BluePrint[1] to make it easier to keep track of those patches.
> Please check the contents and approve it.
>
> [1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/add-multiple-cells-scenario-tests
>
> Best regards,
> --
> Maho Koshiya
> E-Mail : koshiya.maho at po.ntt-tx.co.jp

We don't really need a blueprint for this work. It would be good to know
what gaps in existing testing you think exist. And where do you plan on
implementing these tests? In the nova/tests/functional tree or somewhere
else? We already have a lot of tests which are using a CellDatabase
fixture which allow us to create multiple cell mappings for tests in the
API.

If you're considering Tempest, tests there wouldn't really be
appropriate because to the end user of the API, they should have no idea
if they are talking to a cloud with multiple cells or not, since it's
really a deployment issue.

What we don't have today in our CI testing, and that we need someone to
work on, is running a devstack multi-node setup with at least two cells.
This likely requires some work in the devstack-gate repo to configure
devstack per node to tell it which cell it is.

I encourage you to bring this up in a weekly cells v2 meeting for
further discussion:

http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/#Nova_Cellsv2_Meeting

Matt