[openstack-dev] [QA] Is forcing dynamic creds too restrictive?

Andrea Frittoli andrea.frittoli at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 16:56:10 UTC 2017

On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 4:47 PM MCCASLAND, TREVOR <tm2086 at att.com> wrote:

> Hello QA Team,
>
> In many of the tempest tests there is a statement[1] that overrides the
> tempest.conf value for use_dynamic_credentials.
> In the event of an immutable user source, these test cases[2] and the
> one's inherited by them will fail.
> Can we remove or reduce the scope of the overrides? You can see my
> proposed solution for identity admin cases here[3] and my bug report here[4]
>
> What is the QA team's opinion on this?
> Is forcing dynamic creds too restrictive since it would prevent any tests
> being executed against clouds where credential creation is not allowed?

The reason we force dynamic credentials for identity admin tests is that
pre-provisioned credentials are generally not a good fit for admin test
cases.
Admin tests are not a concern from an interoperability point of view, so
forcing dynamic credentials on admin tests is not an issue for
interoperability testing either.

That said there are probably cases where we could allow for pre-provisioned
credentials without risking to break test isolation.
I'm fine with that in principle, I guess it has to be discussed on a test
by test basis.

Andrea Frittoli (andreaf)