[openstack-dev] [release][ptl] Improving the process for release marketing

Sean McGinnis sean.mcginnis at gmx.com
Mon Nov 20 17:18:20 UTC 2017

Hello PTL's, release liaisons, and all those interested.

The changes on our side to support a release cycle highlights page have been
completed, and things have settled a bit from the Summit activies, so I think
now is a good time to get things going again for this.

See below for the background, but if you missed it or have forgotten by now, we
plan to have an easier way to collect significant "highlights" for each release
cycle in order to collect "key features" flagged by each team that marketing
teams can use during release communication times. The goal is to reduce the
number of times PTL's get asked by various groups to "tell us what changed in
this release."

The way we are approaching this is by adding a "cycle-highlights" key to the
deliverable file for your project [1]. This field will take RST formatted text
that will then be rendered into the highlights page we will share with
marketing.

Our goal is to have roughly three "highlights" per team for each release, but
this will vary based on the needs of the team and the amount of work done
during the cycle. If there is only one significant change to share, that is
fine. If there are five, that's OK too. Just keep in mind that these should be
limited to only the significant changes that you feel are worth communicating
to the marketing, sales, and end users out there that need to know what to
expect.

We will want to start collecting this information as we near RC releases, but
feel free to start adding items of interest with the upcoming Queens-2 release
if you already have changes worth noting.

And please ask here or in the #openstack-release channel if you have any
questions about how this works.

Thanks,
Sean

[1] http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/releases/tree/README.rst#n466

P.S. This is for cycle_* deliverables only. If you see a need for this with the
independent releases, let me know and we can talk about how that might look.