[openstack-dev] [nova][placement] resource providers update 41.75

Eric Fried openstack at fried.cc
Fri Nov 17 21:38:40 UTC 2017

Folks are still trickling back from the summit, so things haven't ground
fully back into action yet.  But some progress has been made:

GET /allocation_candidates
==========================
The refactor series starting at [1] has started to merge.  The series
has included a number of useful tests, revealed a number of juicy bugs,
and even fixed some of them.

The same series is also starting to accomodate traits, which can now be
fed into AllocationCandidates.get_by_requests() since [2].

Once nested is accounted for (code still not started) we'll activate
these new goodies in the placement API via [3].

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/516778/
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/514092/
[3] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/517757/

Nested Resource Providers
=========================
The bottom of this series [4] hasn't moved, other than rebases.  Please
let's get some core eyes on this.

However, the top of the series is seeing some new action starting at
[5]: we're in the process of implementing a
ComputeDriver.update_provider_tree method that will allow a virt driver
to manage the nested provider structure and inventory associated with
its compute node(s) - something like [6] and [7].

[4] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/377138/
[5] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/520243/
[6] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/520313/
[7] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/521041/

Alternate Hosts
A little progress has been made on this series [8] but it's still pinned
pending full buy-in.

[8] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/499239/

=====
Otherwise not much has changed in the last couple of weeks; see update
41 [9] for a 'fresher.

[9]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2017-November/124233.html

EOM