[openstack-dev] [tc] Technical Committee Status update, November 17th

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Nov 17 10:13:07 UTC 2017

Hi!

This is the weekly summary of Technical Committee initiatives. You can
find the full list of all open topics (updated twice a week) at:

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Technical_Committee_Tracker

If you are working on something (or plan to work on something) that is
not on the tracker, feel free to add to it !

== Recently-approved changes ==

* Add the supports-rolling-upgrade tag to Ironic [1]
* Select Thierry Carrez as TC chair [2]
* Update house rules to reflect absence of meetings [3]
* Split up sahara deliverables [4] [5]
* Goal updates: sahara, glance, senlin, designate, zun, zaqar
* New repos: os_congress, ansible-role-k8s-(keystone|mariadb|tripleo),
tripleo-common-tempest-plugin, cloudkitty-tempest-plugin,
cinder-tempest-plugin

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/514448/
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/514553/
[3] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/514582/
[4] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/515513/
[5] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/515780/

Low activity over the past 3 weeks as travel to Sydney, Summit week and
travel back from Sydney ate most of the TC members time. Most
interesting change is the addition of the supports-rolling-upgrade tag
to Ironic, to reflect that an Ironic installation can now to upgraded in
a rolling fashion. You can find more details about this assertion at:

https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/tags/assert_supports-rolling-upgrade.html

== Voting in progress ==

The LOCI team (packaging OCI container images for OpenStack
deliverables) is being proposed as an official OpenStack project. The
addition (and the followup typo fix) seem consensual, but are still
missing a couple of votes:

https://review.openstack.org/513851
https://review.openstack.org/516005

== Under review ==

It's time to propose and review community-wide goals for the Rocky
cycle. Kendall Nelson posted a proposal around Storyboard Migration.
Please review it at:

https://review.openstack.org/513875

Matt Treinish proposed an update to the Python PTI for tests to be
specific and explicit. Please review at:

https://review.openstack.org/519751

As a result of the discussion around stable policy in Sydney, it was
proposed to recenter the Stable policy on OpenStack cloud components
rather than expect it from all sorts of deliverables. As a result,
Emilien proposed the removal of the tag from Kolla[6], while I proposed
wording changes to the tag definition[7]

[6] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/519685/
[7] https://review.openstack.org/521049

It should not be necessary to wait until we have 5 items in our "help
wanted" list, nor require the presence of 5 elements at all times.
Please review the list rename at:

https://review.openstack.org/520619

The Mogan team application is still up for review. General feedback from
the Summit forum session was that the overlap and complementarity
between Nova, Ironic and Mogan makes for a complex landscape, and the
strategy going forward needs to be clarified before we can approve this
application. It is therefore likely that it will be delayed until Rocky,
Please comment at:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/508400/

Finally, you might be interested in reviewing the addition of the
supports-accessible-upgrade tag to ironic, before it gets approved by
lazy consensus:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/516671/

== TC member actions for the coming week(s) ==

TC members should prepare for Sydney activities (see below).

Monty should answer the feedback on the supported database version
resolution (https://review.openstack.org/493932) so that we can make
progress there -- or abandon it.

Doug should update or abandon the "champions and stewards" top help
wanted addition (https://review.openstack.org/510656)

Thierry should clarify the situation of the Stackube application
(https://review.openstack.org/#/c/462460/), in light of the refocus of
OpenStack on cloud infrastructure and potential creation in the future
of a separate strategic area around container infrastructure.

== Office hours ==

To be more inclusive of all timezones and more mindful of people for
which English is not the primary language, the Technical Committee
dropped its dependency on weekly meetings. So that you can still get
hold of TC members on IRC, we instituted a series of office hours on
#openstack-tc:

* 09:00 UTC on Tuesdays
* 01:00 UTC on Wednesdays
* 15:00 UTC on Thursdays

For the coming week, I expect the main topic of discussion to be actions
coming out of the Forum sessions.

Cheers,

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)