[openstack-dev] [infra][all] Removal of packages from bindep-fallback

Ian Wienand iwienand at redhat.com
Thu Nov 16 05:59:01 UTC 2017

Hello,

Some time ago we started the process of moving towards projects being
more explicit about thier binary dependencies using bindep [1]

To facilitate the transition, we created a "fallback" set of
dependencies [2] which are installed when a project does not specifiy
it's own bindep dependencies.  This essentially replicated the rather
ad-hoc environment provided by CI images before we started the
transition.

This list has acquired a few packages that cause some problems in
various situations today.  Particularly packages that aren't in the
increasing number of distributions we provide, or packages that come
from alternative repositories.

To this end, [3,4] proposes the removal of

 liberasurecode-*
 mongodb-*
 python-zmq
 redis
 zookeeper
 ruby-*

from the fallback packages.  This has a small potential to affect some
jobs that tacitly rely on these packages.

NOTE: this does *not* affect devstack jobs (devstack manages it's own
dependencies outside bindep) and if you want them back, it's just a
matter of putting them into the bindep file in your project (and as a
bonus, you have better dependency descriptions for your code).

We should be able to then remove centos-release-openstack-* from our
centos base images too [5], which will make life easier for projects
such as triple-o who have to work-around that.

If you have concerns, please reach out either via mail or in
#openstack-infra

Thank you,

-i

[1] https://docs.openstack.org/infra/bindep/