[openstack-dev] Upstream LTS Releases

Dmitry Tantsur dtantsur at redhat.com
Wed Nov 15 07:56:44 UTC 2017

On 11/14/2017 11:17 PM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> Excerpts from Chris Friesen's message of 2017-11-14 15:50:08 -0600:
>> On 11/14/2017 02:10 PM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
>>> Excerpts from Chris Friesen's message of 2017-11-14 14:01:58 -0600:

>>> Presumably those are the same people we've been trying to convince
>>> to work on the existing stable branches for the last 5 years. What
>>> makes these extended branches more appealing to those people than
>>> the existing branches? Is it the reduced requirements on maintaining
>>> test jobs? Or maybe some other policy change that could be applied
>>> to the stable branches?
>>

>> For what it's worth, we often lag more than 6 months behind master and so some
>> of the things we backport wouldn't be allowed by the existing stable branch
>> support phases.  (ie aren't "critical" or security patches.)
>>
>> Chris
>>

> We should include a review of some of those policies as part of
> this discussion. It would seem very odd to have a fix land in master,
> not make it into the stable branches, and then show up in a branch
> following the LTS policy.

Actually, I'm strongly against skipping any supported (not EOL-ed) branches when
backporting patches. This includes normal stable branches, as well as other LTS
branches.

The main reason, if somebody wonders, is to avoid regressions for people
upgrading from a version with a backport to a version without.