[openstack-dev] Upstream LTS Releases

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Tue Nov 14 20:10:45 UTC 2017

Excerpts from Chris Friesen's message of 2017-11-14 14:01:58 -0600:
> On 11/14/2017 01:28 PM, Dmitry Tantsur wrote:
>
> >> The quality of backported fixes is expected to be a direct (and only?)
> >> interest of those new teams of new cores, coming from users and operators and
> >> vendors.
> >
> > I'm not assuming bad intentions, not at all. But there is a lot of involved in a
> > decision whether to make a backport or not. Will these people be able to
> > evaluate a risk of each patch? Do they have enough context on how that release
> > was implemented and what can break? Do they understand why feature backports are
> > bad? Why they should not skip (supported) releases when backporting?
> >
> > I know a lot of very reasonable people who do not understand the things above
> > really well.
>
> I would hope that the core team for upstream LTS would be the (hopefully
> experienced) people doing the downstream work that already happens within the
> various distros.
>
> Chris

Presumably those are the same people we've been trying to convince
to work on the existing stable branches for the last 5 years. What
makes these extended branches more appealing to those people than
the existing branches? Is it the reduced requirements on maintaining
test jobs? Or maybe some other policy change that could be applied
to the stable branches?

Doug