[openstack-dev] [Release-job-failures][zuul][infra][trove] Tag of openstack/trove-dashboard failed

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Tue Nov 14 16:31:15 UTC 2017

On Tue, Nov 14, 2017, at 08:09 AM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> Excerpts from zuul's message of 2017-11-14 16:01:20 +0000:
> > Unable to freeze job graph: Unable to modify final job <Job publish-openstack-releasenotes branches: None source: openstack-infra/project-config/zuul.d/jobs.yaml at master#26> attribute required_projects={'openstack/horizon': <zuul.model.JobProject object at 0x7ff8f8b0a710>} with variant <Job publish-openstack-releasenotes branches: None source: openstack-infra/openstack-zuul-jobs/zuul.d/project-templates.yaml at master#291>
> >

> Is there some way to detect this type of error before we approve a
> release?

My understanding is Zuul won't do complete pre merge testing of these
jobs because they run in a post merge context and have access to secrets
for stuff like AFS publishing. Zuul does do syntax checking on these
jobs pre merge though so if we could get Zuul to check "final" state
without building an entire job graph that may solve the problem. I'm not
familiar enough with Zuul's config compiler to know if that is
reasonable though.

It is possible that Zuul would notice the failure post merge when
attempting to run any jobs against the repo when it is in this state.
Though my hunch is we didn't notice until the release jobs ran because
hitting the error currently requires you to attempt to queue up the
specific broken job.

Likely any fix for this will have to happen in Zuul's config handler(s)
to notice this error early rather than late on job execution.

Clark