[openstack-dev] [octavia] how to recreate amphora instances

Michael Johnson johnsomor at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 01:30:57 UTC 2017

I can give it a go, there are also logs of our conversation on
evesdrop here: http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-lbaas/%23openstack-lbaas.2017-11-02.log.html#t2017-11-02T11:07:45

Short background, they had an infrastructure issue where networking
was out.  This caused the load balancer amphora to be detected as
failed and started the failover process which rebuilds the amphora,
however this process also failed due to the wider infrastructure
issues (Note, this is what I remember from the conversation. Correct
the background if I am wrong). At this point the load balancers would
be in a provisioning status of "ERROR", the amphora instances were
likely deleted (depending on where the infrastructure issue impacted
the failover process), and the amphora db records would be in the
"DELETED" state.  To make their situation worse, the DB cleanup cycle
of the housekeeping process was set low (default is a week) and the
amphora records were purged. This meant the customer data for the VIP
address/ports was also purged.

Recovery:
If the database records were not purged, after the infrastructure
issues are resolved, you can simply go into the octavia database and
issue: update load_balancer set provisioning_status="ACTIVE" where
provisioning_status = "ERROR";
This will restart the health manager expecting the amphora to report
health heartbeats and the failover process with start again rebuilding
the amphora.  We have also recently added an admin API to trigger a
failover manually
(https://developer.openstack.org/api-ref/load-balancer/v2/index.html#failover-a-load-balancer).

If your amphora records have been purged, you are in some pain (don't
do this).  This means that the VIP address and neutron port
information for that VIP address are not available for the failover
process to rebuild.  In this case, before you start the above process
you will need to recreate the amphora records from your logs, either
adding the port information if the ports are still live in neutron, or
creating replacement ports.

Michael