[openstack-dev] [TripleO] containerized undercloud in Queens

Wesley Hayutin whayutin at redhat.com
Wed Nov 8 22:10:34 UTC 2017

On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 5:00 PM, Alex Schultz <aschultz at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 2:59 PM, Emilien Macchi <emilien at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 3:30 AM, James Slagle <james.slagle at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> we
> VM

> >> +1 if you mean just the scenarios.
> >
> > Yes, just scenarios.
> >
> >> I think we need to keep at least 1 multinode job voting that deploys
> >> the overcloud, probably containers-multinode.
> >
> > Yes, exactly, and also work on optimizing OVB jobs (maybe just keep
> > one or 2 jobs, instead 3).

> >> This is why I'm not sure what you're proposing. Do you mean switch all
> >> multinode jobs to be just an undercloud, or just the scenarios?
> >
> > Keep 1 or 2 OVB jobs, to test ironic + mistral + HA (HA could be
> > tested with multinode though but well).

> >> I'm fine to optimize the scenarios to be undercloud driven, but feel
> >> we still need a multinode job that deploys the overcloud in the gate.
> >> Otherwise, we'll have nothing that deploys an overcloud in the gate,
> >> which is a step in the wrong direction imo. Primarily, b/c of the loss
> >> of coverage around mistral and all of our workflows. Perhaps down the
> >> road we could find ways to optimize that by using an ephemeral Mistral
> >> (similar to the ephemeral Heat container), and then use a single node,
> >> but we're not there yet.
> >>
> >> On the other hand, if the goal is just to test less upstream so that
> >> we can more quickly merge code, then *not* deploying an overcloud in
> >> the gate at all seems to fit that goal. Is that what you're after?
> >
> > Yes. Thanks for reformulate with better words.
> > Just to be clear, I want to transform the scenarios into single-node
> > jobs that deploy the SAME services (using composable services) from
> > the undercloud, using the new ansible installer. I also want to keep
> > running Tempest.
> > And of course, like we said, keep one multinode job to test overcloud
> > workflow, and OVB with some adjustments.
> >

> So I'm ok with switching to use the containerized undercloud deploy to
> smoke test functionality of more complex openstack service
> deployments. What I would like to see prior to investing in this is
> that the plain containerized undercloud deploy job reliability is on
> par with the existing undercloud install.  We had to switch the
> undercloud-containers back to non-voting due to higher failure rates
> and it is still not voting.

Agree, once we have a little success I'll update featureset027 ( the
undercloud-containers )
which is still non-voting to use this updated containerized deployment.
Then we'll compare
the undercloud-oooq to undercloud-containers (fs027) After a few weeks of
running.

> With the current state of CI being
> questionable due to random failures which are not fully have resolved,
> I would prefer that we ensure existing CI is stable and that what we
> plan to move is as stable.

Agreed,
There are times IMHO when one must strike when the iron is hot on certain
parts of the work here.  I felt compelled to help bootstrap Ian with the
containerized undercloud work or see old habits remain and have things
running in tripleo.sh or other shell scripts.

The priority is to help stablize the upstream CI for sure!

> Additionally I think we need to ensure that the ovb jobs that still do
> full deployment process become voting by switching to 3rd party CI.

Yes, agreed.  I'll reach out to the rdo sf admins and see if we get it
voting -2.
That is what we discussed at summit.